Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Buddy the Elf and no I couldn't come up with a better name

On a lighter note, my girls are 2 & 4 and 20 months apart. They're the best of friends and yet they can fight. Oh the noise! Christmas is just around the corner and it's time to pull out the big guns and I'm not ashamed to admit it! Sure, Hallmark has "The Elf on the Shelf" and I'll admit I was:

1. Too cheap to spend $36CDN
2. Couldn't find one within the timeframe I needed it
3. The elfish look of the Elf freaked out my oldest (I kid you not!)

So I found an Elf at my favourite Christmas store (Holland Park in Burlington) during their annual Open House and paid $9.99. Of course, it was a feat to get out the door and I had to tell the girls Santa asked me for some help and I had to do some work for Santa. Yes, a girls night-out filled with shopping, laughs and going out for dinner was on the agenda, but by George...I was on a mission for Santa!

The next morning I shared the story of Santa's special guest who came home with me and would be staying with us for the Christmas season and I was met with Oohh's and Awe's from the girls. Then Big Bit's asked me what his name was. I was at a loss. I had no idea what his name was nor had any plans of naming our house guest. Upon the 3rd question of what his name was I did what any parent does, and what I've done before...I blurted out the first name that came to mind. After all, it's how Pinky, Rosie and Brainie got their names (my girls beloved lovies and yes, my girls lovies are basically named "Pinky & the Brain"!!!).

I named our friend "Buddy" and then realized that was also the name of the main character in the Christmas movie "Elf" and hubby was quick to point that out. Oh well, at least the girls will think I named the movie version of Buddy  and that I had some pull and clout with Hollywood. So for the time I'll be the cool mom until they realize otherwise.

So Buddy the Elf has been with us for just over a week now. He's Santa's eyes and ears during the day and at night heads back to the North Pole to report to Santa. Now let me tell you...he's working like a charm. I need an Easter elf, a summer elf and basically need an all-season elf. All I have to say is "what will Buddy tell Santa" at the first sign of discord and they're back on the good-girl train.

So hubby & I are getting into the spirit of Christmas guest. Each night we're having fun moving him around the house. Last night he was hanging out in the dining room on the chandelier and tonight he's hanging around in the living room on the candle wall sconce. Hubby & I are discussing a few shenanigans that he might get into to keep it fun. Of course, I'm probably all talk and he'll be in the same spot for the rest of the Christmas season but for now I like to think I'll keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment